Monday, February 23, 2009

What are YOU doing with your life?

DRUGS
SEX
and
ALCOHOL

Is that what comes to mind when you think of college? I hope not, because that's NOT what comes to my mind.This picture basically sums up college life in a nut shell, NOT! This picture shows the common misconception of what students assume college is only about.

I was talking with my best friend the other day and we were speaking about college life and what students do in their spare time. It seems to me that some students are the "ultimate party animals," which means that they go out to parties every weekend, sometimes multiple days out of the week or even everyday! I'm not bashing on the students who would put themselves in this category, but I must question it. How do students have that much time and energy to go out everyday or weekend? I mean...what is so exciting about getting wasted every night?
Then, we have the girls who go out clubbing consecutive times out of the week; Again...what is so great about it!? I mean...don't get me wrong, I like to go out and have fun every once in a while but I wouldn't be able to do it every weekend. It just seems like these students aren't doing anything with their lives. There is more to college than partying and clubbing 24/7.

Yes, it's normal for people to go through stages in their life when they want to slack off and have fun. But at some point in time they have to step back, think and say to themselves, "wait, what am I doing with my life?" Many students come to college with an undecided major, and that's okay for about the first 2 years. However, if they have yet to decide by their third year then something has got to change.

A good way to figure out what you want to major in is getting involved with student organizations and attending events. This might even help you find your passion in life; take me for example. I met my friend Janille in my pre-calc class last year and she introduced me to the organization I now am in--APASU. If I had never met Janille or got involved with APASU, I wouldn't be passionate about the work I do in the APIA (Asian Pacific Islander American) community. This all ties back to my career goals, ambitions and aspirations. Getting involved with APASU is one of the best decisions I made in my life; it opened up so many doors and opportunities for me. I feel like this is my calling in life and I will continue to follow this path for as long as it allows me to.

I am lucky to say that I have found my passion. So go out and find yours, it'll be worth it in the end.

Work hard and Play hard, that's my motto.

1 comment:

  1. I really like the way you used something dramatic and catchy, both words and images, to catch the reader's attention and then you went on to write a really nice post! great post!

    ReplyDelete