Wednesday, February 25, 2009

To Commute or Not to Commute, that is the Question

I woke up this morning at 8:30 sore as hell. On top of that I can't even walk correctly because I think I sprained my foot from Tinikling practice last night. Then I started thinking to myself, "I'm so glad I'm not a commuter". I have a lot of friends that commute back and forth to school and their schedules seem so much more hectic then mine. I have a friend who wakes up at 5:30 every morning so she can make it to her 9:30 class on time. I guess it also depends on how far away you live from campus and whether or not you have to go through that looooong tunnel every morning.

Another trend that I have noticed in commuter students is that they are not typically involved with organizations on campus and they hardly attend any events. Many of the students that I have spoken with say that they would love to get involved, however it is at an inconvenience for them. Also, a lot of the commuters work, which is why their schedules are so hectic. I can understand why some students just drive to campus, go to their classes and leave immediately after class. I guess everyone has different life styles but I would hate to be a commuter. Whenever I'm hanging out with my friends that commute the always say, "how do you know so many people on campus?" I think it's easier to meet people living on campus because you constantly see the same people over and over again and after some time you just start saying "hi", then you become acquaintances and before you know you're friends! I've also met many students from joining my organizations; I think student orgs. are one of the best networks to have during your college years. All of these students have one thing in common and that's leadership. It's great to be around young driven and ambitious people, they can help you out in many different ways, whether it's co-sponsoring an event or maybe even helping you with your resume. These people have different life-experiences and valuable information that you may not know, which could help you in the future.

So, when you have kids and it's their turn to go off to college don't limit them by having them stay home. And if you do want them to live at home push them to get involved with school activities.

1 comment:

  1. I think this is a good point. I only live two blocks away but still feel distant from campus. I think that if I chose to live in a dorm I would absolutely meet more people and feel more connected to campus.

    ReplyDelete