Saturday, May 2, 2009

A Balance of Life




How do college students do it? When you really think about it, college students have a lot on their plate; they have to maintain good grades while trying to balance extra curricular activities, boyfriends/girlfriends and having a social life. In my opinion, the one thing every college student needs is a good sense of time management. College isn't about how smart you are, college is about being well-rounded, although some students can get carried away with partying, which us. Many students think that companies are looking to hire the person who graduated at the top of their class, but they're WRONG.

Companies are looking for people who have experience and can get the job done. They want to know that you can multi-task and work well under pressure in many different situations. A great way to gain experience is either through a job or an internship. I would highly suggest that you start applying for internships the summer of going into your junior or senior year because then you could have a set job right after you graduate with the place that you
interned for. A lot of college students don't do internships because they usually don't pay you, but like I said before it's about the experience and what you gain out of it. I know it might be a difficult decision to make (choosing between a job or internship) due to our economic times and it doesn't help that we're broke as it is. But this is how I look at things, I would rather be broke for a summer and do an internship with an unforgettable experience because it would then benefit me in the long run. Within that broke summer I would be able to build my network up, which to me is way more important then making money. In one of my previous posts I said that life's about networking and who you know and it really is. Everyone will learn that at some point in time.

So, my point of this post is to let people know that it's important to be well-rounded. Don't just stick to one thing, try something new each year. And it's okay if you're not book smart, if you sit back and observe, the reason why people are successful is because they are sociable and personable. Having people skills is important in life too, so don't think you're not going to get anywhere in life if you don't have a 4.0 gpa.

No comments:

Post a Comment